Palmyra Bureau of Fire Prevention
Welcome! to the Palmyra Bureau of Fire Prevention. The Bureau operates under the Fire Marshal Tracy Kilmer. Responsibilities of the Bureau include administration and fire code enforcement, fire investigation, fire prevention activities and public education.
Fire Marshal Kilmer is the supervisor in charge of the Fire Prevention Office and Fire Sub Code Official.
We are located at:
Borough of Palmyra
20 West Broad St.
Palmyra, NJ 08065
We can be reached at:
Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
SMOKE DETECTOR INSPECTIONS FOR RESALE OR CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY:
If you are selling or changing occupancy of your one or two family dwelling then a Certificate of Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Alarm and Fire Extinguisher is required. This is pursuant to the New Jersey State Uniform Fire Code NJAC 5:70-2.3 / 5:70-4.19.
Requirements are as follows:
SMOKE DETECTORS WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION IF OVER 10 YEARS OF AGE!
• There is no written application prior to the inspection. Simply call the Fire Marshal’s Office and we will schedule a date and time for inspection. Inspections are done Monday thru Thursday, 9:00am to 12 noon.
• A battery operated or hard-wired smoke detector must be installed on each level of the dwelling (minimum). If a hard-wired system is installed it must be in working condition.
• No detector shall be placed in the kitchen area.
• A smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector must be placed outside each sleeping area.
• If you have a third floor, with walk-up steps, used for occupancy or not, a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector is needed.
• One portable fire extinguisher, rated ABC type 2A:10B:C. The extinguisher must be either tagged by an authorized fire serivce company within the year or attach a copy of the paid receipt to verify purchase within a one year period. The extinguisgher must be located in the kitchen. It need not be permanently mounted.
• For inspections requested more than 10 days prior to settlement/change of occupancy: $35.00
• For inspections requested 4 and 10 days prior to settlement/change of occupancy: $75.00
• For inspections less than 4 days prior to settlement/change of occupancy: $125.00
• Certificates are valid for 60 days and become void if occupancy changes before the expiration date.
• No fee will be assessed for a second reinspection.