Firearms / Permits
FARS Firearms Application & Registration System – Procedures for Applicants
- All firearms applications can now be completed online at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
- Applicants should have a printer attached to print any necessary paperwork.
- The system will ask for the, “ORI Number”.Palmyra Police Department’s ORI Number is NJ0032800
Please ensure that the agency ORI is correct on the form. If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A REFUND CANNOT BE ISSUED.
- Applicants should have handy, any necessary identification for completion of the application, along with contact information for two (2) references, including their email and phone numbers.
- If you have never been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, you will need to go for fingerprinting with the Universal Fingerprint Form that will be generated after successful submission of this form. However, if you have been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, upon completion of this form and payment, you would have completed both S.T.S 033 and 212A requirements.
- You must come to the Police Department to pay for your initial Firearms ID Card and/or handgun permits to purchase. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the FID/Card and/or Permits to Purchase. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Firearms Identification Card: $5.00
Handgun permits to purchase: $2.00 each
- Automated emails will be sent to you throughout this process.
- Once your application and investigation is complete you will be contacted by our department to pick up your FID Card and/or permits to purchase.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best contact information (phone numbers & email addresses) for yourself and references.
- Any questions regarding this application process can be directed to Det. Arargil at (856) 829-0198 Ext. 116 or at email@example.com .
**Information regarding firearm laws, regulations, and forms may be found on the New Jersey State Police website: http://www.njsp.org.**