Mission Statement | Accident Report Copies | Annual Report | Crime Tips & Prevention | Personnel
Police Blotter | Forms | Internal Affairs | Links | CodeRED/Nixle | Firearms/Permits | Police Info | Gallery | Past Chiefs | Voluntary Security Camera Registration | Officer Drug Testing | Officer Early Warning System | Rx Dropbox
The Palmyra Police Department is committed to providing ethical police services with the highest degree of integrity. Our officers are held to the highest of standards in the performance of their duties as police officers and in their personal lives. They are expected to observe the rights of all citizens. It is the ultimate responsibility of the Palmyra Police Department Internal Affairs Unit that our officers adhere to these standards.
The purpose of the Internal Affairs Policy governing the Palmyra Police Department is to improve the quality of police services. Citizen confidence in the integrity of the police department increases through the establishment of meaningful and effective complaint procedures. This confidence builds community support for the police department. Improving the relationship between the police and the citizens they serve facilitates cooperation vital to the department’s ability to achieve its goals. An effective disciplinary framework also permits police officials to monitor compliance with department policy and procedures. Adherence to established policies and procedures assist officers in meeting department objectives while a monitoring system permits supervisors to identify problem areas requiring increased training or direction. Finally, the Internal Affairs Policy ensures fairness and due process protection to citizens and officers alike.
The internal affairs process is also used to identify and correct unclear or inappropriate agency procedures. In addition, it will highlight organizational conditions that may contribute to any misconduct, such as poor recruitment and selection procedures or inadequate training and supervision of police officers.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE A
COMPLAINT ABOUT A POLICE OFFICER
We at the Palmyra Police Department are conscious of our responsibility to our residents. All police officers are trained to be fair, impartial and non-discriminatory in dealing with our residents. If you have a complaint about a police officer, we wish to know about your complaint so we can investigate your allegation.
If you feel you have a complaint, you should:
- Contact the police department at 856-829-0198 / Afterhours 856-829-0191
- Speak with the shift supervisor who will take your complaint
- You may lodge your complaint in person, via telephone, either by mail or by fax.
- Please advise if you need an interpreter or other assistance to file your complaint.
- You may lodge your complaint anonymously.
- You must describe the type of complaint and the actions of the officer that caused this complaint.
- When dealing with an officer he is required to give his name and badge number.
- If you do not have the officer’s name you should know the location of the problem and the approximate time and date to assist us in identifying the officer.
- All complaints filed are investigated by the Internal Affairs Division of the Palmyra Police department. The investigator will contact you during the course of the investigation.
- After the completion of this investigation you will be notified in writing of the outcome of the investigation and, if appropriate, offered an opportunity to disclose further information.
- If you do not wish to file a complaint with this department you may file your complaint with the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office Internal Affairs Unit
- All complaints are kept confidential and the complainant’s name(s) are not released to the public.
- Any pertinent records not considered confidential are subject to disclosure under the Open Public Records Act and may be released in accordance with these criteria.
Open the Actual Complaint Form
(After filling out this form, you may bring
it back in person, fax it (856-829-8021), regular mail to 20 West Broad Street, Palmyra, NJ 08065, e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org